The Village of Oriskany
The village of Oriskany is located in Oneida County, New York between the cities of Utica and Rome. The population was exactly 1400 residents at the time of the 2010 US Federal Census. The name is derived from the Iroquois word for "nettles."
The Village of Oriskany is part of the Town of Whitestown, southeast of the City of Rome. NY State Route 69 passes through the village, which is south of the Barge Canal. The village is near the confluence of the Mohawk River and Oriskany Creek.
The Battle of Oriskany, a Revolutionary War Battle during the Saratoga Campaign, was fought west of the modern village on August 6, 1777. At the time of the battle, the Oneida village of "Oriska" was located near the battlefield. The location is marked by the Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site.
The village was founded in 1811. The Erie Canal passed through the village and was included in the celebratory celebrations when the first section of the route opened between Utica and Rome. The Village of Oriskany was formally incorporated on December 21, 1914.